My most secret quirky trait is a fascination with sexy foods. I can't help it, I find food irresistible when it dances with the senses. What we find charming and tasty is a personal affair, but has been written about for centuries. My own list was first inspired reading the book Aphrodite by Isabelle Allende in which she sums it up so eloquently.
"All of creation is one long uninterrupted cycle of digestion and fertility."
So my choices are both foods that remind us of the beauty in the human form and those that promote a healthy fertile body. This is the fun list where healthy meets sexy.
Top 10 Aphrodisiac Foods
1. Pear - something about the shape screams womanly figure with the soft round hips and slender neck. Like apples pears are full of pectin and healthy fiber. They are excellent sources of Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, copper and potassium and they make a delicious alternative to bread when served with a soft cheese.
2. Fig - Figs are incredibly sensual, not too sweet, and date back to the garden of Eden. Just stick your finger into the center of one and the flesh will run your imagination wild. Figs are ripe with seeds that represent fertility and the fig leaf has paradoxically been used in modesty. Figs are full of potassium, Vitamin A, B1, B2, antioxidants and an excellent source of minerals.
3. Bread - One of my favorite stories from Aphrodite is of the baker baking bread for the mistress he adores. The baker sweats in the heat of the kitchen and rolls the bread up and down his manly chest to knead the dough with his scent in hopes of luring the mistress back to him. Not sure I would want to partake in that bread, but I love the quirky fable and think the practice of baking for your loved one is sexy in itself. If made from 100% whole grain organic wheat and soured properly, bread has an abundance of nutrition.
4. Oysters - Cassanova was thought to have dined on 50 oysters for breakfast before his frisky escapades. If the slippery texture doesn't do it for you, it might interest you to know that scientists have found amino acids and high zinc content in the oyster that does enhance testosterone and hence the libido. Sharing oysters on a bed of ice is itself a sexy act, and can produce a healthy fertile body.
5. Banana - Bananas are an obvious phallic symbol, but can be super sexy and fun. There is nothing quite like a chocolate covered frozen banana in my opinion to awaken the senses and stir the imagination. Beyond the obvious shape, bananas are full of potassium and B vitamins that feed a healthy fertility and beautiful body.
6. Egg - I used to be quite a movie buff before I had children and gave up any notion of free time. If you are intrigued by the combination of food and love, you will want to watch the 1985 movie Tampopo, a Japanese film about a family run noodle shop. In one scene, the couple passes an egg yolk back and forth from mouth to mouth and it is very hot and steamy. Eggs are super foods for fertility and rich in nutrients for thyroid health including choline, Vit B12, Vitamin D, and protein. One basic change that will bring your sexy back is to replace your breakfast cereals, devoid of any nutrition, with delicious pastured eggs.
7. Coconut - Coconut shell bikinis and cod pieces date back to early tropical dances in the Philippines. The loud noises can be attributed to "peacocking" or modes of drawing attention to oneself. Coconut is a super food with so many healthy attributes, it's difficult to know where to start. The caprylic acid is known to improve gut health, the healthy fat is used in oil pulling for dental health, and it is miraculous on the skin. My favorite use for coconut oil is a healthy lubricant devoid of artificial solvents and chemicals. You will love the silky smooth feel or should I say he will love you for it.
8. Honey - Food of the gods, honey cannot be compared to any other substance for it's sweetness, nutrient content, and gorgeous texture. Honey's romantic reputation began when newlyweds drank mead until their first full moon or "honeymoon". Honey is full of boron and B vitamins that stimulate hormone production and initiate desire. Make sure your honey is local and raw to be certain you are consuming the real thing. Many companies use corn syrup and other fillers, pasteurize this live food until it's dead and try to claim it is organic, even though we have no idea where the bees roam.
9. Whipped cream - A super fun food, whipped cream is as easy as whipping pure cream and can be worn as a layer of edible clothing. Cream is the most nutrient dense form of milk, rich in Vitamin A, B2, and calcium. The cream at the top of the milk was historically saved for the young newlyweds and even new scientists agree that low-fat and skim can cause infertility, whereas whole fat and cream can encourage fertility. I might add that whole fat is know to reduce body weight and the risk of diabetes, so whip up some cream and enjoy!
10. Cherry - One of my absolute favorite fruits along with any other stone fruit: peach, plum, apricot. They all have these traits in common: first we wait all year for the middle of summer when they are finally ripe and luscious, dripping down our arms, for always too short of a season, before they are gone. Second, they are sweet, soft, supple, and every word a girl likes to hear whispered into her ear in describing her flesh. Finally, the cherry specifically refers to a young girl ripe and ready for her first experience.
Don't let the fact that this may be your 15th year together take that "first experience" away from your love life. It is time to find a new first! Whether it is your first pic nic in the park, your first tandem bike ride, or your first canoe trip in the lake. Take one of these delicious aphrodisiacs along for the ride and share it with someone you love.